What's the opportunity?
We're looking for a Senior Sales Engineer to be our first dedicated sales hire at Gruntwork. To date, we've asked a small number of cloud engineers to handle sales calls in addition to their core work. As our company and lead volume have grown, we've had to choose between being effective at sales or improving the product. Now we're looking to make our first dedicated sales hire whose 100% focus will be on educating customers, closing deals, and writing code/docs to help us close deals.
As the first sales hire, you'll report directly to the founders and will have the opportunity to apply considerable influence to our sales strategy and results.
What You'll Work On
- Manage deals. We receive a growing number of leads each month and are struggling to keep up. As our first dedicated sales hire, you'll roll up your sleeves and respond to leads, lead sales calls, and close the deals. You'll engage with some of the largest enterprise companies in the world and throughout the world as well as cutting-edge new startups.
- Impact sales strategy at Gruntwork. Gruntwork has become a multi-million dollar company with no outside investment, no debt, and a few humble engineers doing sales on the side. Now we're ready to have a dedicated sales team and could use your help setting our strategy.
- Improve the sales pitch. Our sales presentation today involves Gruntwork engineers speaking to customer engineers with no slide deck needed. Customers love the detail and first-hand technical knowledge, but we want to transition to a standardized pitch that consistently works and that we can share with future sales hires. We'll look to you to help us craft it.
- Streamline our sales workflow. You'll help us design a streamlined sales workflow that balances our need to captures key data in our CRM (currently salesforce) with our need for personal productivity and efficiency.
- Light marketing. You'll primarily focus on converting qualified leads into signed contracts, but there may be low-hanging fruit opportunities to bring in more leads. We'll look to you to identify and coordinate those opportunities, backed by additional budget if needed.
- Lay the groundwork for a sales team. We'll work together to lay the groundwork for a future multi-person sales team. As you look to grow your career, you'll have the option to aspire to sales management, or leadership as an individual contributor.
- Above-Market Salary. To reduce bias and increase transparency, we compute all salaries using formulas. The formula factors in your title and location and uses a multiplier to produce a result that's above market for that title and location.
- Profit-Sharing Bonus. We set aside a pot of money at the end of each year based on profits and distribute bonuses according to a formula that uses as inputs your level within the company and the length of your tenure at the company.
- Performance Bonus. We give performance-based bonuses as often as once a quarter, depending on your performance. NOTE: We have not yet decided on a commission structure, if any.
- Progressive Equity. We grant progressive equity to all new Grunts. This means that, in the case of a large exit (e.g., acquisition), the financial benefits get distributed more evenly across the whole team rather than solely going to the founders.
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance. We offer a range of high-quality plans with a large portion paid by the company.
- FSA and HSAs. We don't contribute to these accounts, but we do offer them as an option.
- 401(k). We contribute a portion of your salary to your pension or 401(k).
- Disability insurance. If you get disabled, we have a policy that will pay out a portion of your salary.
- Hardware budget. We'll buy you a brand new benchmark Apple laptop upon joining. It will be owned by you, not the company.
- Personal Budget. We'll give you a personal budget of one thousand dollars per month to spend on your workspace (e.g., a co-working space), health (e.g., gym, yoga), time (e.g., babysitter), and/or learning (e.g., books, courses).
- Minimum Vacation. We require that you take at least 4 weeks of vacation per year. And we'll track it to make sure you do!
Life First, Then Work
We believe in planning our work around our lives, not the other way around. To help achieve that we offer:
- Remote work that lets you control your hours and physical location.
- Normal working hours that usually amount to not more than ~40h per week, and no working on weekends or holidays.
- Deliberate project planning that takes into account the time zone of all team members.
- A minimum vacation policy where you must take at least 4 weeks per year away from work.
- No one carrying a pager and no on-call rotation. We enable this by only offering support contracts with SLAs of responses on business days / hours only.
What time zones do we work in?
While Gruntwork generally hires anywhere between San Francisco and Berlin, candidates for this role must be within the GMT-7 to GMT-3 time zones, with a preference for being located in the USA or Canada. We expect you'll work primarily with customers and fellow Grunts in those time zones, with limited engagement with customers worldwide and Grunts in Europe. Working during reasonable hours is a priority for us.