Section 1: Position Summary
This role provides a strategic and service driven focus in leading the desktop services team that services all Ascensus offices and is responsible for the overall Associate IT experience, including driving the future direction in technology and process. The leader in this role is required to supervise a large group of associates by demonstrating a strong balance of technical knowledge and leadership skills critical to participating in the strategic direction of the teams and collaboration with peers. This position will be the primary vendor relationship owner with outsourced services providing IT service desk delivery.
The leader of this team must ensure that the highest level of support are the drivers underscoring the client service mindset of this team and that the team work together to drive organizational outcomes and changes to support growth and scale efficiencies. The ability to be flexible and agile in thinking is critical to achieving quality and timeliness in delivery of service as set by the Technology organization. This position will have advanced knowledge of enterprise IT best practices including the latest in ITSM platforms and ITIL focus. Expertise in Windows and Mac desktop environments, and advanced knowledge of networking, server environment, virtual desktop delivery, and emerging solutions will be a requirement for this role
This leadership role will be responsible to partner with Human Resources to manage adequate staffing levels commensurate with variable volumes related to seasonality and changing business conditions.
Accountability for maintaining a culture of continuous learning; foster an environment of accountability, feedback, and team collaboration
Conduct performance conversations and reviews and other HR related practices that are critical to developing talent.
The Ascensus Director of Desktop Services will be required to efficiently and effectively manage a sizeable budget and work with leaders across finance and technology in forecasting projected spend.
Section 2: Job Functions, Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Create a plan, establish policies, guidelines, metrics to guarantee high level of associate satisfaction with desktop service delivery
- Collect and analyze Help Desk metrics for departmental learning and process improvement
- Maintain and improve system monitoring and failure procedures, to proactively resolve issues impacting our associates.
- Establish a hardware strategy and identify and document hardware standards across the organization.
- Establish and maintain a centralized desktop, peripheral, and application inventory, ensuring focus on license management.
- Manage IT vendors, including reviewing terms and conditions of contracts and ensuring contractual requirements are met and returning value to the organization
- Establish analytics-based staffing model for scaling team to keep pace with company growth
- Responsible for A/V meeting delivery and endpoint management
- Work with Security Operations to formulate security recommendations and design security services related to desktop services environments
- Implement technical solutions to contractual requirements supporting, , SOC I, SOC2, and other frameworks
- Partner with business teams and lead responses to external audits, penetration tests and vulnerability assessments
- Perform project leadership tasks on select desktop services projects, including periodically delivering presentations and updates on IT strategy and projects
- Evaluate, recommend, and deliver on enhanced desktop solutions, including automation opportunities and delivery efficiencies.
- Responsible for process development, documentation, and continuous improvement in the desktop environment, with a DevOps focus on service delivery.
- Evaluate applicable new technology, build consensus and plan to introduce cost justifiable technology
- Research and stay current on IT strategy and operations, best practices and function as a subject matter expert in these areas; maintain an adaptable posture on technology changes to keep Ascensus current
- Facilitate the creation of cohesive support documentation. Train teams in new technologies and processes. Evaluate support needs and develop effective support materials and monitors.
- Work with the recruiting team to attract, on-board and retain diverse top talent
- This position will lead the Desktop Services departments, and work closely with other IT leaders
- Responsible for protecting, securing, and proper handling of all confidential data held by Ascensus to ensure against unauthorized access, improper transmission, and/or unapproved disclosure of information that could result in harm to Ascensus or our clients.
- Our I-Client service philosophy and our Core Values of People Matter, Quality First and Integrity Always® should be visible in your actions on a day to day basis showing your support of our organizational culture.
- Lead a team of technology professionals who are geographically dispersed office and remote environments
- Ensure all associates have appropriate goals and development/training plans in place; manage and mentor the team; be a conduit for development resources and support
- Responsible for ensuring that team is meeting and exceeding expectations in regards to performance, meeting defined metrics/benchmarks, and that standards and processes are followed and protocol observed to provide effective customer service and meet requirements through an ITIL framework.
- Conduct regular team meetings and one-on-one meetings with team members
- Focus on the Associate Experience and drive the organizations noble purpose, business strategy, and core values to each and every associate on your team as measured by associate engagement survey scores and business results
- Develop people and teams through coaching, mentoring, and feedback
- Proactively implement strategies to improve associate satisfaction and deliver results
Section 3: Experience, Skills, Knowledge Requirements
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years in IT leadership role; 10 years in IT operations/desktop support/service experience
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with ServiceNow or similar ITSM/ITAM platform
- Expert level knowledge of desktop services resources, services, and applications appropriate for an enterprise environment
- Proven expertise in the acquisition, installation, maintenance, and management of enterprise IT assets
- Advanced knowledge of enterprise wireless device management
- Proven expertise in a Microsoft enterprise environment, including Active Directory management
- Experience managing geographically dispersed teams
- Excellent organization skills, proven analytical abilities and decision-making skills
- Excellent consultative, verbal/written communication skills, presentation and analytical ability
- Excels in a result focused organization
- Exceptional leadership, mentoring, coaching, management and interpersonal skills
- Conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency.
- Passion for quality and continuous improvement of processes and software
- Ability to work collaboratively with other leaders and associates to further the posture of the Ascensus IT Service delivery and technical posture of the organization
- Strong overall sense of ownership
- Flexibility throughout the year with a focus on changing business needs and unexpected situations
- Prior project management and/or process improvement experience
Preferred technology skills:
- Call center and workforce management solutions (inContact, NICE, etc.)
- Desktop deployment software, strategies, and execution (Microsoft Intune/AutoPilot)
- Microsoft Windows patch management technologies (SCCM, BCM)
- O365 and other cloud desktop services
- Advanced Active Directory concepts/skills
- Mac administration and management tools (JAMF, Addigy, etc.)
- Cisco-based networking
- DevOps/Automation toolsets
- Enterprise architecture and technical design experience
- ITIL Service/process
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
Ascensus is a place to have a career, not just a job. As the largest US independent retirement and college savings services provider, we put our focus on people. Our culture is guided by sound principles, is committed to high standards, operates with transparency, and welcomes diversity. When you join our team, you get to go to work every day knowing that you help over 10 million Americans save for retirement and college.
Ascensus is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, citizenship, sex, marital or veteran status, disability or handicap, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Ascensus also takes affirmative action to employ, and advance in employment, qualified women, minorities, and covered veterans. Ascensus also makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state laws