Temporary, Full-time • Starts April 1, 2020, Ends Nov 30, 2020 • Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits
Work from Anywhere in the Continental US
MoveOn is a diverse and vibrant community of millions of people working together to create progressive change in America. We are an innovative campaigning organization that supports people throughout the country to take action through driving impactful campaigns that influence the behavior of people and institutions, the outcomes of elections, and expand the realities of what’s possible. We organize to challenge entrenched power, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice and a vision of a country in which everyone can thrive.
MoveOn has a particularly important role to play in the Trump era. We are working to defeat Donald Trump and the GOP in 2020 by building a powerful, multiracial, and economic populist movement that will give voters something to vote for, not just against—and we’re also working to defend communities that are on the front lines of Trump and GOP attacks, including immigrants, people of color, the LGBTQ community, and women. In service of that mission, in 2020 and beyond, MoveOn will drive impactful, movement-connected, multichannel, nimble campaigns aimed at impact.
The 2020 Social Media Editor will be integral in MoveOn’s work to help defeat Donald Trump and the GOP in November. The ideal candidate for this role will work within our social media team to draft communications, curate and generate content, and provide guidance and support to ensure that our multi-issue campaigning and elections work is on message, well promoted, and published properly on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and possibly other platforms in conjunction with our many ongoing campaigning efforts throughout the year. This position will report to the Director of Social Media, with close collaboration with our Social Media Manager, as well as MoveOn’s entire Comms team.
- Lead on ensuring that our campaigns and elections social media communication and content are properly finalized and published in a timely manner in conjunction with our daily content programming priorities and commitment to equity
- Frequently draft and edit high-performing and relevant share text and call-to-action copy for a variety of content for publishing across multiple social media platforms
- Act as the point person on social media content distribution and traffic management, ensuring that there are no publication collisions and requests are being filled in a timely manner
- Liaise with various MoveOn teams as a reliable resource for their social media publishing needs including providing training, guidance, and best practices for social media priorities
- Track social campaigns data for monthly and campaign specific reporting
- Consistently track and develop our editorial calendar with content in accordance to major dates and events, keeping it updated daily while also making improvements to and providing upkeep of our internal scheduling and tracking systems and processes
- Curate and/or create content for major dates and events on the editorial calendar
- Ensure that our social media accounts are in good standing and positioned as well as possible for engagement, growth, and reach
- Engage with our social media followers and community as necessary on multiple social media channels
- Maximize reach for MoveOn’s content using social media tactics and collaboration with influencers, and other digital promotion strategies, with a focus on reaching key audiences
- Develop content for social media posts, such as: create graphics in coordination with our graphics production firm; distribute photos from MoveOn events; create multi-media Twitter threads; draft rapid-response messaging in real-time as major events unfold
- Innovate, experiment, and learn: work with our team to run tests that help identify what makes content more shareable and impactful
- Incorporate feedback from supervisor and colleagues, and follow organizational approval processes
- Serve as an approver of content produced by others, using good judgment and attention to detail to ensure content is accurate, on brand, and on message
- Use our communications channels, including social media and email services, in service of the position’s goals
A successful candidate will:
- Have a strong work ethic and able to actively carry out their responsibilities with awareness of power dynamics related to identity and demonstrated commitment to equity in the workplace and media space
- Thrive working in a 100% remote environment, proactively communicating with team members and working autonomously while remaining reliably accountable
- Keep up to date on political news stories and trends, as well as on evolving best practices for engaging with social media platforms
- Have a thorough understanding of both organic social media and paid digital distribution mechanisms, ecosystems, and tactics
- Be well-familiarized with social media content and distribution optimization methods, publishing tools and best practices, and social media platform specific features and characteristics
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects in an organized manner
- Be able build strong relationships and to communicate on a regular basis with the organization’s various teams and other key allies and organizations to ensure we’re executing with proper coordination and collaboration
- Be open to giving and receiving constructive and collaborative feedback and adjusting approach based on feedback
- Be comfortable sharing views and opinions when collaborating with team members while also being able fully to prioritize and execute the organization’s collective direction or stance on any given issue.
- Be prepared for intensive work through the election season, while maintaining a work-life balance; time management is key—since this is an election period, this isn’t a job that will always fit neatly within traditional business hours
- Have a demonstrable, impressive track record of leadership and accomplishment in using social media to advance broader organizational objectives and achieve real-world impact
Required skills and experience:
- 2-5 years working in a social media field, preferably in a media or news capacity
- 3+ years of experience in project management
- 3+ years of experience in progressive advocacy, electoral campaigns, or news/digital media
- Passion for social media, current events, and progressive politics
- Excellent project management judgment and skills in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional writing, editing, and communication skills
- Mastery of social media best practices and monitoring tools: You need to know how to best promote a piece of content across social media platforms and measure its success
- Strong political judgment, with a clear understanding of political issues, advocacy campaigns, the progressive movement, and electoral politics
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, including the ability to engage effectively with MoveOn staff and partner groups
Reports to: Director of Social Media
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the continental United States. May require occasional travel.
Classification, Salary, and Benefits: Full-time, competitive salary including benefits such as 100%-employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for all staff and their children; 401k plan with employer contribution, employer-paid premiums for life insurance; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year, prorated for the period that you work; 18 weeks of paid parental leave (birth, adoption, foster care placement of a child), paid sick time, and paid family medical leave; staff holidays, professional development budget of $1,000, monthly cell phone and internet reimbursement of $175 per month, home office subsidy, and everything needed for a home office.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
The post Social Media Editor appeared first on Jobspresso.