Chromatic in a Nutshell
Chromatic is a digital agency with over a decade of experience creating websites using open source technologies and a recognized leader in open source content management systems. We’ve helped some of the web's biggest brands solve hard problems in publishing, e-commerce, and non-profit spaces. We provide leadership and expertise to our clients through design, back-end development, and automation.
We are looking for a qualified digital project manager to join our team. You will be supporting the day-to-day management and smooth operation of a wide variety of projects and support retainers across the organization.
Typical Day in the Life
This is a boots on the ground position. This project manager will be on the front lines of Chromatic’s projects, ranging from enterprise site builds to monthly maintenance retainers. A typical day in the life of this PM will consist of attending status meetings, recording decisions, and creating and delivering project health/status reports to clients and Chromatic leadership. This person will work alongside our Director of Client Services to ensure the success of our projects and to maintain/grow our client relations.
- Monitor and report on project budgets and hours.
- Monitor team and contractor timesheets.
- Coordinate and schedule meetings.
- Following up on tasks and open items.
- Quality assurance support for all deliverables.
- Produce various reports (status reports, budget, etc.).
- Contribute to project documentation (i.e. Project Briefs, Functional Requirements, etc).
- Create agendas and facilitate meetings.
- General marketing and writing support as needed.
- Identify and refine out of scope client needs.
- Provide assistance with resourcing projects.
- Enthusiasm, personality, teamwork and a positive attitude count tremendously. Serious candidates will be sure to include an introductory video with their application.
The right person for this role...
- Has proven work experience (at least 2-3 years) as a project manager or coordinator (or similar role) within digital services.
- Can deftly manage their time (and others’).
- Can juggle multiple initiatives at once.
- Loves lists and spreadsheets.
- Has excellent communication skills - both written and verbal.
- Has a keen attention to detail.
- Is a problem solver.
- Is never afraid to ask questions.
- Learns to anticipate client and team needs.
- Is self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Is comfortable leading discussions, even the hard ones.
- Is eager to learn and own projects end-to-end.
- Is rarely defensive with others.
- Has hands-on experience with ticketing systems such as Jira or GitHub.
Some Other Important Traits
- Chromatic is a distributed team – strong communication skills, both verbal and written, are of the utmost importance.
- The desire and ability to brainstorm ideas, do research, remain current with industry trends and best practices.
- Enthusiasm, personality, teamwork and a positive attitude count tremendously.
- Serious candidates will be sure to include a short, introductory video with their application. Don’t overthink it.
What sets Chromatic apart from a typical job?
- Work from wherever you want, whenever you want: Our office is completely distributed, you may work from wherever is most effective for you. We encourage our team members to work when it is most effective so they’ll do their best work, but we tend to schedule meetings during the North American workday and expect our team to usually be available during this time.
- Reasonable Bookings: We book our team members with a max of 30-35 hours per week for project work. We believe more than that is asking too much. The other 5-10 hours is reserved for team meetings, community contribution, and professional/skill development.
- Vacation: Chromatic does not set rigid vacation limits. We encourage our people to take vacation when they want/need it. So long as it is planned and doesn’t interfere with existing contracts or project deadlines, we’re all for it.
- Sabbaticals: Chromatic offers a sabbatical to all full-time employees after their seventh anniversary. Our sabbaticals are intended to allow team members extended time to rest both their bodies and their minds away from work and outside of normal vacation/PTO time and are accompanied by a sabbatical stipend.
- Health Insurance: Chromatic provides competitive medical/dental/vision insurance.
- 401(k): Chromatic provides employees a 401(k) plan along with a 3% employer contribution with immediate vesting.
- Disability Insurance: Chromatic provides both short and long term disability insurance.
- Life Insurance: All employees are provided with a term life insurance policy.
- Donation Matching: Chromatic is proud to offer a Donation Matching Program for our team members. We will match donations to a 501(c)3 organization dollar for dollar, up to $50 per month for a total of $600 annually.
- Hardware: Chromatic allows our team members to choose the system that they prefer and we ensure everyone has up-to-date equipment/software.
- Exciting Projects: Chromatic consistently participates in projects with exciting, high-profile brands and some of the most highly trafficked sites on the web; some of which include Outside Magazine, Martha Stewart, NBC / MSNBC, Shape, Casper, State Farm, Adobe.
- Conferences: Chromatic frequently sends team members to attend and speak at industry conferences. Employees are encouraged to seek out conference opportunities to grow their skills and personal networks.
- Company Retreat: Once a year, we gather the entire company to spend quality time together away from our desks – usually somewhere quite beautiful.
- Streaming Music Subscription: Music is important to us; we provide a Spotify subscription (or equivalent) for all of our employees.
- Workflow: We firmly believe in a strong, consistent deployment workflow. We insist on proper code reviews on all of our projects. This not only ensures excellent code quality but more so, makes us all better at our jobs.
- Team & Culture: We work and support each other as a team. We make an effort to get together as often as possible and support each other personally and professionally at every opportunity.
- Flexible Work Week: Chromatic offers a flexible work week schedule for interested team members when clients/project specifics allow it.