TED is a critically acclaimed, award-winning conference and website featuring inspiring talks from the world’s leading thinkers and doers. Since 2006, TED Talks have been watched more than four billion times worldwide and drawn best-in-class sponsors and partnerships. We pride ourselves on combining intelligent, forward-thinking content with leading-edge technology and intuitive design. And we’re hiring!
We’re looking for an experienced Backend Engineer to work on the entire range of TED initiatives including TEDx, TED-Ed, TED Fellows, The Audacious Project, as well as the main TED.com site. The Backend Engineer is also responsible for a myriad of internal applications which, among many other things, power our video production pipeline, syndicate our video content to partners worldwide, and build a lasting archive of ideas.
This is a remote position.
QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS
- Experience with developing APIs
- Works well in iterative development process
- Ability to take code from development all the way through to production
- Ability to test your code for bugs along the way
- Familiarity with application and data security best practices
- Familiarity with server side design patterns and architecture
- Ability to troubleshoot issues in a calm but fast manner
- Ability to balance negotiations between doing it right and doing it fast
- Ability to work individually, as well as collaborating with other developers
- Analytical mind and strong problem solving skills
- Self-starter who can manage own time and project workload
- Values cross-functional collaboration
- Values a diverse workplace
- Good communication skills
These are some of the tools that we require a highly-qualified candidate to be familiar with.
- Ruby / Ruby on Rails
Our team also works with the following tools, familiarity is desired:
- Nginx / Varnish
- Logstash / Kibana / Graphite/ Ganglia
- Amazon Web Services
- Write clean and maintainable code that is well covered by tests and is documented
- Test your code for bugs along the way
- Manage the stability, reliability, and maintainability of back-end code for TED
- Develop, monitor, and maintain services that power our initiatives
- Willingness to contribute however possible to ensure overall effectiveness of position
- Other duties and special projects as may be assigned from time to time
- General: Office environment
- Physical: Repetitive movement of wrists, hands, and/or fingers
- Mental/Visual: Concentrated mental and/or visual attention; work involves performing tasks to very close accuracy and quality specifications
- Machines, Tools, Equipment, Electronic Devices, Computer Software, etc.:
- Ability to use common office equipment such as telephone, computer and copier
- Computer programs to include MS Office, Mac programs, Google Docs, functional related databases
- Travel: Upon request / as needed
TED Conferences LLC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We invite all qualified candidates to apply online with their resume.
The post Backend Engineer appeared first on Jobspresso.