Headquarters: San Francisco, CA URL:
Our mission is to help people find work that matters and make it easier to build great teams. We believe that the world is better when people understand the opportunities available to them. Our human-assisted AI platform delivers great results to our customers (customer quote: "I'd have a panic attack if you guys stopped existing").
Because of this, we raised money at one of the highest ever valuations coming out of YCombinator (from OpenAI researchers, Lightspeed Venture Partners, and others.) Our CEO scaled Dropbox from 200 to 1200 people as Chief of Staff, and our team has previously sold companies, published machine learning research, and worked at Google, Airbnb, McKinsey, etc.
About the role
You will report directly to one of the founders and own a variety of special projects. An ideal candidate in this role will grow to manage a large team of remote contractors and services that effectively scale the impact of the CTO (we plan to more than double in size in each of the next two years). You will start out being responsible for everything, with the expectation that you will find a way to delegate and outsource much of the work.
Some examples of projects and responsibilities:
- Running whole projects. Ex: set up a blog. Either edit (or find an editor) to ghost write articles given a relatively quick rough draft. Run those articles by others for feedback, incorporate the feedback, get final approval, then find ways to promote those articles.
- Prototyping. Ex: put up a marketing landing page, purchase some Google ads for various keywords, and conduct an experiment to understand exactly how many people are interested in a particular product feature / business idea.
- Hiring contractors. Ex: find someone (on TaskRabbit, Craigslist, etc) who can handle a variety of chores onsite. Interview, do reference calls, and background checks for applicants, and coordinate the scheduling and payment.
- Scheduling. Ex: reply to emails directly, or set up a service like Clara, to handle scheduling of meetings, candidate interviews and onsites, etc.
- Researching. Ex: find the most interesting new papers about generative adversarial neural networks from the past 6 months.
- Travel planning. Ex: plan a trip to Tahoe with a group of friends, including car rental, airbnb rental, scheduling, payment, etc.
- Collecting data. Ex: have someone on UpWork create a list of all YouTube videos from the past 2 years in which someone who lives in the San Francisco Bay Area is giving a talk about Python.
- Learning. Ex: find the best 3 books about marketing. Find (or create) summaries for each.
- 1+ years of work experience.
- Incredibly smart. Loves learning.
- Highly motivated and hard working. Strong drive to achieve and improve. Relentless.
- Effective executor. Very capable, independent, focused, and productive.
- Good judgment.
- Extremely reliable. Organized. Detail oriented.
- Highly available.
- Very comfortable with technology.
- Work from anywhere in a role with significant growth potential.
- Coaching and mentoring. We will help you grow to be extremely effective.
- Very generous budget for personal development, coaching, and mentoring.
- Health, vision, dental, 401(k), etc
- Paid travel to SF periodically (if interested)
Salary: $70K - $140K
Equity: 0.1% - 1.0%