More than 78,000 paying customers depend on Buffer, and we’re grateful to work every day developing intuitive features to make their experience better. We’re looking for a senior product developer for our web engineering team to help lead the technical direction and development of our single-page web application products.
FULL-TIME · REMOTE
Buffer is an equal opportunity employer with teammates all around the world. Our team is made up of developers who hail from startups to the theatre – we value diverse and non-traditional backgrounds. We’re united by Buffer’s values, and we celebrate our unique differences.
We value creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and are actively working on building a culture where under-indexed groups are truly welcomed and can flourish. As a technical leader in our team, you will contribute actively to this aspect of our culture.
As a Senior Product Engineer at Buffer, you will:
- Develop product features across the full stack with component-driven front-end architecture and furthering our accessibility work, writing and scaling new services and working with our core API.
- Help us with an exciting transition! We are currently transitioningfrom a PHP backend monolith with Backbone.js and React.js on the client, to a service-oriented architecture with micro-services built in Node.js, PHP, and Go and React components on the frontend.
- Mentor other engineers, pair program, and deeply review code.
- Work within our product engineering teams, collaborating with product managers, designers, customer advocates, engineering managers and more using tools like GitHub, Zoom, email, Discourse, Slack and Jira to craft beautiful, user-centric interfaces.
- Demonstrate self-awareness in your work and interactions with your team, and be a role model in your commitment to continuous improvement of our product, code and culture.
Helpful Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated experience in independently leading projects from start to finish.
- Experience and track record helping teams work effectively with legacy codebases.
- Experience working with React, Redux or similar frameworks, building single page web applications with modern browser technologies.
- Experience with any procedural language, working on backend systems with meaningful production traffic. Node.js, PHP, or Golang experience would be helpful but isn’t required.
- Experience building micro-services with Kubernetes would be helpful but isn’t required.
- A proven track record of making informed decisions around technical debt and tradeoffs. You believe in high quality products and software engineering practices, but are pragmatic when necessary.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Experience building and debugging complex systems in a team environment
- It would be a bonus if you have a background in design, or have good product sensibilities and an eye for the details that make a product beautiful (but this isn’t required)
- We value the depth and quality of your work experience, rather than the quantity. As a general guideline, successful candidates typically have 5+ years of experience.
- We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. As a teammate at Buffer, you will agree to uphold our code of conduct.
We’re looking to hire two Senior Product Engineers to fulfill this role on our team. If you don’t meet 100% of the criteria, we would love to hear from you anyway.
Ultimately, the exact role will end up somewhat tailored to the person who joins our team, and this is our best guess of what this role will look like.
What We Value
Clear communication, transparency, open-mindedness, empathy and patience are just a few of Buffer’s cultural values. We are looking for a person who understands this culture and will thrive within a team of people passionate about self-improvement, honesty and openness. Here’s a guide on how we strive to communicate with customers.
Working at Buffer is collaborative and positive thanks to our core values. We try to be “No Ego Doers” who are aware of our assumptions, and joining us means you’ll work together with the team in order to test and confirm our ideas. In our career framework, we choose to focus on the journey, the growth and evolution that is a career.
Perks and Benefits
We hope that you’re excited by the possibilities that come with working at Buffer! In addition to our unique culture, we also offer these fun perks and benefits.
- Technology: Get hooked up with a laptop to do your best work.
- Learning & development stipend: To encourage our teammates to be their best selves, we offer a small stipend for any course or training they’d like to do.
- Health insurance: We offer health insurance for all of our team members, international or US based.
- Salary: Our salary formula adjusts to your cost of living and experience. For this role, the range is $96k – $145k per year.
- Work remotely: Live and work from wherever you feel happiest.
- Stock options: Joining the Buffer journey means you can choose to own part of the company.
- Unlimited time off: Our only policy is that you give yourself a break regularly.
- Retreats: Join us on annual international company retreats! Our last retreat was in Madrid, Spain.
- Free books (and Kindle): All you can read, no questions asked.
- Family Leave: If your family grows during your time at Buffer, we recommend taking anywhere from 1-3 months of family leave, regardless of when you joined.
Where You’ll Work
Buffer is a fully distributed team, which means that we’re spread across the planet. We have Bufferoos in 15 countries, 11 timezones and 42 cities around the world to build a great culture and product. You’ll work where you’re happiest and most productive, in the place that helps you to become the person you wish to be.
More about how we work remotely →
See where the Buffer team is now →
Here’s a tentative hiring timeline for this role:
Now-May 13: Apply to join our team!
May 14-18: We’ll spend time reviewing applications.
May 21-June 8: Follow-up interviews with the team.
The post Senior Product Engineer appeared first on Jobspresso.