SlashData is the leading research company in the developer economy: We help the world understand developers and developers understand the world. We survey 40,000+ developers annually - across mobile, IoT, desktop, cloud AR/VR and machine learning - to help clients such as Microsoft, Facebook, Google and Amazon understand who developers are, what tools they love or hate and where they are going next.
We’re now looking for a full-time, Senior Software Engineer to help drive data and visual insights out of millions of developer data points. The position is full time, either remote or based in our Athens office (if you happen to live near). We will consider locations within 2-3 hours of Central European Time or further for candidates willing to shift their working day to have significant overlap with the other team members in Europe.
What skills we are looking for
- Experience with React, Redux, webpack and related technologies
- Familiarity with testing tools such as Mocha, Chai, Jest
- Appreciation for good UX & UI design, ability to contribute to a design discussion
- Backend web API development experience, preferably with some exposure to Node.js
- Experience with AWS and other cloud providers
- Experience working with relational and NoSQL databases
Bonus points for
- Having built single-page web apps and server-side rendered apps
- Experience with AWS Lambda or other “serverless” backend architecture
- Experience with Python
- Have worked with an intermediate data layer, that sits between multiple data sources and the front-end applications
- Experience with data visualisation (e.g. using D3.js)
- An appreciation for data and understanding of statistics
What you’ll be responsible for
- Building a custom data dashboard web app (backend in Python and frontend in React) for displaying data to clients and developers. There are lots of dashboard tools in the world, but we have fairly rare data needs and an ambition to create world-class visualisations. Iterating on our in-house survey tool (built on AWS Lambda, React and Redux) to reach developers everywhere in the world and provide a delightful UX.
- Maintaining and enhancing our developer and client-facing websites. We’ve deployed ‘static-CMS’ sites using - Gatsby, Contentful, Prismic and Netlify. Much of our stack is using Node.js.
If you’re that person, we’d love to talk.
Key success metrics
You will be successful in the role if in the first 6 months you have
- Implemented a data dashboard MVP web app.
- Shown ability to maintain and improve our existing codebase and your code is readable, testable, and understandable six months later.
- Built successful working relationships across the company to support other technology-related activities.
What we offer
- Opportunity to make a difference as part of the research company that works with the biggest tech brands to help the world understand developers.
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working environment
- Come to work in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, or tie and a suit
- Annual training budget to develop your skills and career
- Monthly book allowance from Amazon, on any book you like
- Spotify Premium subscription or Netflix
- Part of an entrepreneurial company that's raising the bar, and calling the trends of the developer economy
If you think a link to your LinkedIn profile or public projects is helpful then include one, but it’s not required.