Raising the Floor - US · Apr 12th 2018
Headquarters: Washington, DC
Type of Position: Contractor, Full-Time, 6-month Contract
WHO WE ARE
Anytime, Anywhere, Any Computer Access. At Raising the Floor, we’re an international coalition of individuals and organizations dedicated to ensuring that the Internet, and everything available through it, is accessible to people with accessibility barriers due to disability, literacy, digital literacy, or aging, and regardless of their economic resources. Our vision is to revolutionize the landscape of assistive technology by creating an infrastructure to facilitate the development, distribution, and support of a wide range of affordable accessibility solutions around the world. That is, the Global Public Inclusive Infrastructure (GPII).
You will help a team of bright and talented developers located across continents who are passionate about our vision, that of radically improving the access to technology. How? By helping to develop associated system that can cause ICT to instantly change into a form that each individual can understand and use. We are looking for a talented software engineer to lead and develop one of the associated systems of GPII called Installation on Demand (IoD). This system will allow GPII to install and use Assistive Technology (AT) software on demand, whenever required by a user.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
· Become a member of a small development team building applications and tools around GPII.
· Develop the server-side of the IoD solution, consisting of a web-based admin portal, service, and software repository.
· Work in and contribute to an open source project (https://github.com/GPII).
· Be involved in all of the phases of the IoD project, from project inception to release phase.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
· Experience in creating web sites and services using Node.js.
· Experience with Linux administration/configuration.
· Knowledge of package management concepts.
· Experience working successfully with a remote distributed team.
· Able to work independently to complete tasks on schedule without close supervision.
· Highly motivated, self-directed, and able to thrive in ambiguity.
Raising the Floor - US Inc, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable US federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. Raising the Floor - US is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment.
To apply: 1. Send current resume or CV to email@example.com. 2. To be considered for this position, you must also include in your email a brief description of how your skills and experience match the requirements listed in this job posting (i.e., a cover letter).