Founded in 2009, Dribbble has grown to become a top global community for designers and creative professionals and a destination for inspiration for tens of millions of people. Dribbble is on a mission to build the world’s best platform for designers and creative professionals to gain inspiration, feedback, education, community, and job opportunities.
We are a bootstrapped and profitable company helping the world’s design talent share their creations and get hired. Dribbble has become a go-to resource for discovering and connecting with designers and creative talent around the globe.
Dribbble helps some of the world’s best design-forward companies including Apple, Airbnb, IDEO, Facebook, Google, Dropbox, Slack, Shopify, and Lyft get exposure for their design teams and hire expert creatives.
About the role:
Our small team of developers is already happily doing great work. We're looking for a Full Stack Rails Engineer to join the fun and help us continue to grow.
We use a few different frameworks and technologies, but the crucial areas where a candidate needs significant skill and experience are:
As a Full Stack Engineer, you'll be responsible for helping maintain a web application that supports millions of visitors each month and has wide visibility in the web industry. Product ownership, feature development, bug fixing, testing, caching, scaling, and performance should all be familiar concepts that you've addressed in your applications. You should be able to work independently (though we collaborate continuously) and thrive on identifying, as well as solving, problems. We like to think we're always helping each other improve, so we want someone who loves being part of a team.
- Significant experience building applications with Ruby on Rails
- Excellent relational database skills, knowledge of SQL, and the ability to use PostgreSQL explain plans to optimize queries
- Strong understanding of REST and URL design
- Experience using and building APIs
- Experience building and optimizing activity streams would be a plus
- Love of writing tests
- Passion for always improving (yourself, the app, the company, etc.)
Our tech stack
- Nginx/Unicorn (Puma soon, we swear!)
- Ruby on Rails
How we roll
Our development process is very lightweight: We define work items as GitHub issues, practice GitHub Flow, and ship continuously.
Most of our team communication happens through:
- GitHub issues and pull requests
- Weekly video team meetings & brief standups
- Semi-Annual in-person company gatherings and occasional travel to software conferences and/or Dribbble meetups
Some things we value highly are
- Collegiality and good humor
- Writing skills
- Working asynchronously
- Zero BS
- Puns (well, most of us)
Why you want to work here
At Dribbble, you’ll join a diverse team dedicated to learning, teaching, and growing; as individuals, as a team, as a business, and as a community. As a workplace, we pride ourselves on doing right by our employees and have a benefits package that makes being a part of the Dribbble team a dream job and something to be really proud of:
- Work from anywhere. We are a 100% distributed team - no need to relocate to work for us.
- Build your dream schedule: We trust you to set your own schedule to meet the needs of your team and project.
- Stay healthy. Fully paid medical and dental insurance for you and your family - and a work-life balance that puts your mental health first.
- Unplug. Unlimited paid-time-off so you can relax and recharge.
- Bonus holidays: We observe both American and Canadian Federal holidays company-wide!
- Pro tools. MacBook Pro (or Air) and all the tools you need to do your best work.
- Get your learn on. We cover books, conferences, courses… get smarter!
- Family first. We offer 3 months paid parental leave for US employees, and EI parental leave top ups for Canadian employees when your family grows.
- Stay focused: We’re meeting-free on Mondays and Fridays
- Perk up. Feel good about treating yourself to a latte or two with your monthly coffee bonus. Now you’re not just loitering at coffee shops!
- Buff up. Everyone needs to get away from the desk sometimes. We cover gym and exercise reimbursements so that you can stay fit.
- Save up. Put pre-tax savings into a 401k or RRSP. You’ll appreciate it later.
- Hang out. We get our team together for some quality face-to-face time a few times a year. Each time we meet up in a different city around the world.