Headquarters: remote URL: www.helpscout.com
We are seeking an experienced Linux DevOps Engineer to join our growing engineering team. You will have a direct impact on Help Scout’s success, while helping more than 8,000 businesses around the world. While customers love our product, it means nothing if they can't access our services with great performance.
AWS, Ubuntu, Chef, Git/Github, Jenkins, Docker/Compose, AWS Aurora MySQL & PostgreSQL, MongoDB, RabbitMQ, Redis, New Relic, Sensu, PagerDuty, Ruby, Java, PHP
About the Role
- No matter what you want to call it - DevOps, site reliability or operations - the majority of your time will be spent building, deploying, securing, managing and optimizing highly-available, fault-tolerant and horizontally scalable systems in AWS.
- You’ll be working on a small, nimble team of six (that includes one of our co-founders) and in collaboration with our software developers to design tools and processes that support and improve the entire engineering team while implementing SaaS best practices.
- The engineering team is spread across the world from Hawaii to Helsinki, and at this time we are ideally looking to add more coverage in the PST to CT time zones in the US.
- You could be working on a variety of upcoming projects, such as implementing a solution for rolling out deployments to isolated customer groups, working with the team to transition to Dockerized deployment management and orchestration, in addition to improving our ability to deliver high availability to our customers.
- Our engineering teams communicate mostly via Slack and are committed to remote, agile development. When your code is ready, you’ll create and send a pull request with test cases and tag your team for review (often over a video and screen-sharing session). We are investing heavily in continuous integration and delivery and strive to uphold immutable infrastructure standards. You’ll work autonomously for the most part and we trust you to get work done when/where you can be productive.
- In order to ensure excellent service to our customers, you will be part of our rotating on-call team.
A note about on-call
- The 5-week rotation follows this format: 1 week on backup on-call (which rarely sees much action), 1 week of being on-call, followed by a 3 week hiatus from on-call.
- Our on-call shift is not particularly wearisome, but as a thank you for carrying the pager for the week, the day following your shift is a free day off if you want to take it. We want you happy, healthy and well-rested!
- You have a deep understanding of what it takes to run web services at scale and have a solid understanding of Linux systems internals and networking; from kernel to shell, system libraries, file systems and client-server protocols.
- You have experience with orchestration tools and could identify the benefits and pitfalls we will encounter as we transition to containerized production deployments.
- You became an engineer because you like building systems, tools or products that help people.
- You design and build systems that work well and fail gracefully.
- You’re a great communicator and have an excellent command of written and spoken English. As a remote company, we rely on clear communication for collaboration and execution.
- You are proficient and comfortable in the AWS ecosystem.
- You write code that other engineers can easily read and understand and you welcome reviews and feedback from your peers. You are comfortable writing tests and you thoroughly verify your work before you deploy.
- You are adept at automating service and infrastructure configuration and deployments via configuration management tools such as Chef, Puppet or Ansible.
- You believe remote teams are the future of work, or are at least excited about the idea. You have experience working with remote teams or can adjust your work and time-management style to be remote-friendly.
- You are helpful and empathetic and care about building on our company culture that embraces these qualities.
Help Scout is made by roughly 60 people in 40+ cities around the world, all with a passion for excellence in their craft.
We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences.
Since launching in April of 2011, Help Scout now powers 8,000+ support teams in over 140 countries. Our software is used and trusted by businesses of every shape and size.
Designed to go the distance
Our mission is to foster the world’s customer-centric businesses by providing tools that serve customers in the most human, helpful way. While growth is important, team and values are paramount. We’re always striving to do impactful work we’re proud of in lieu of chasing overnight success.
We’re builders without borders
Our entire team is free to work remotely from wherever they choose. We overcome remote challenges through transparency, trust, and video conferencing. The reward is worth the effort—we’ll take talent, skill, and diverse perspectives over local geography any day.
Above all, we want Help Scout to be a place where passionate people can do their very best work. You won’t find any ping-pong tables or kegerators here. Instead, you’ll be surrounded by driven, supportive teammates who will push you to be better. We take work/life harmony seriously, too, as we want every career at Help Scout to be a long and satisfying one.
Diversity & Inclusion
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Competitive Salary- We pay at or above market salary in most cases and evaluate a lot of research to make sure everyone is paid well. The formula we use to calculate all salaries is public to employees and is improved upon regularly.
- Work anywhere- We’ll fly you to Boston for a week of new employee on-boarding and buy your home office furniture or help you pay for a co-working space.
- Health and dental insurance- We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy.
- Long-term/Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance- We cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST Disability insurance and base Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider.
- International Benefit Stipend- If you’re based outside the US, you’ll receive a monthly stipend that goes towards covering medical insurance, long and short-term disability, and accountant costs.
- Flexible vacation- Take time off when you need it, we trust you.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption- 12 weeks if you have or adopt a baby, 4 weeks if your partner has a baby.
- 401k with 1% match- 1% Retirement Plan matching for both US and International Employees
- Personal development stipend- Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Great tools- Each employee receives a Mac laptop and 27'' display (or equivalent). We’ll also purchase any of the software or hardware you need.
- Complete transparency- Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company. Above all, we want Help Scout to be a place where passionate people can do their very best work. You won’t find any ping-pong tables or kegerators here. Instead, you’ll be surrounded by driven, supportive teammates who will push you to be better. We take work/life harmony seriously, too, as we want every career at Help Scout to be a long and satisfying one.